Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?

Go down 
+5
dalerawks
DM Jecht
Fighter
Nirvana620
Braska
9 posters

Should people have to roll Int/Wis/Cha to resist spells?
Yes
Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Vote_lcap73%Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Vote_rcap
 73% [ 8 ]
No
Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Vote_lcap27%Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Vote_rcap
 27% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
Braska

Braska

Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Empty
PostSubject: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 2:02 am

Should we have it that a person has to roll using int/cha/wis to resist a magic spell? In FF i don't think it was shown that warriors could simply bash away a spell. I believe they can dodge but not brute force it. Anywho vote. End decision i will speak to jecht about.
Back to top Go down
Nirvana620

Nirvana620

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 2:57 am

I agree. You can't just smash away a fireball or whtever, you may be able to dodge it but thats it.....and with the ability to use Int, Wis, Cha, it will be more fair for other classes besides fighter. (My opinin)
Back to top Go down
Fighter

Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 3:17 am

Nirvana620 wrote:
I agree. You can't just smash away a fireball or whtever, you may be able to dodge it but thats it.....and with the ability to use Int, Wis, Cha, it will be more fair for other classes besides fighter. (My opinin)

And what is a melee supposed to do in a fight against a mage? attack with what spells? if you remove their ability to respond then you remove their ability to attack.
Back to top Go down
DM Jecht
Admin
DM Jecht

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 9:02 pm

i think they should. reason why is because it weeds out the powerbuilding with one high stat.. making it so people should either benifit or suffice for it.
Back to top Go down
dalerawks

dalerawks

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 5:30 pm

Sorry but to all you powerbuilders out there who neglected a certain sat such as INT/WIS/CHA/Dex you are in a world of hurt. I think that this will accurately rep a strong character's flaw in the fact that he aint bright, or fast enough to dodge spells 1/2 the time. I approve.

For all you mage out there...... It is game time. Basketball
Back to top Go down
Hasmiel

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 5:36 pm

I like this,its like the actual games stat split of def/mdef,now we just need to think of something to explain how you can smart a fireball away...
Back to top Go down
Fighter

Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 5:12 am

yeah but it removes 100% any chance any fighter has i mean what am i supposed to do in a fight with a mage not use my sword and str? and certain spells should be marked as able to block or bash(becuase some are projectiles)
Back to top Go down
Akai'zhar

Akai'zhar

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 8:27 am

It's only fair i'd say. . .I mean really mages can't really evade/block melee characters attacks since they have naturally low modifier on it. Why would melee chars then be allowed to block with their highest stat on mages attack? Fair is fair i'd say this being the best solution.
Back to top Go down
Fighter

Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 9:35 am

in proposed system you can throw a ice spear at me and i have to some how block it with my mind then respond by throwing a spell (which non of my characters remotely know how to do). and a mage can create defensive shields using spells to block incoming attacks. Think of it like the explosive charges on the outside of a tank. They are used to explode outward to lessen or stop any damage from moving in.(dont point out that tanks have sense stopped using this system because i already know lol) If its fair for a mage to throw a spell a fighter has no prayer of stopping then force him to respond with a spell he has no pray in creating, then how is your proposal any more fair?
Back to top Go down
DM Jecht
Admin
DM Jecht

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 12:04 pm

Uhh.. No mages in the History of FFX have defensive spells except White Mages. Black mages cant use Fire to block an incoming attack. why else do you think mages get hit easily? As well as Fighters.. Auron could never dodge Lulu's spells because he isn't fast at all. Neither would lulu be able to get away from Auron with his Masmune >.> i believe this system is remotely fair.
Back to top Go down
Fighter

Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 12:57 pm

sure it is if your a mage you get to blast a fighter all day and the fighter cant attack back
Back to top Go down
Akai'zhar

Akai'zhar

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 1:53 pm

Erm who said anything about them not being able to attack back? It's the same thing with mages they can't dodge either after that .
Back to top Go down
Hasmiel

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 2:54 pm

Actually a fighter would have the advantage.The fighter would have a higher con so he would have more hp for a slug fest while a mage would have a high int/wis but a low dex/str so the mage would always hit and the fighter would always hit so it would simply become who rolls damage highest so no one has a real advantage.And in the case of white mages they would have healing and protections spells(maybe?) so with them it will just be a war of attricion where the mage heals and the fighter beats them down and so on and so forth(I had a fight like that once,the mage couldnt hit me and I just kept pounding taking away like 50 hp altogether while they only took away like 15).In either case the mage is at a disadvantage blocking against a fighter just like you and magic and remember,mages have to use mp so if they dont boost up their int they would run out of mp before they could finish you off.
Back to top Go down
Akai'zhar

Akai'zhar

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 7:30 am

Black mages can also use charisma for Mp.

Buuut while fighters have more con the mages have bit higher damage (around 1d2 or so compared to same level fighter)

But think mages are on disadvantage allready they need to use MP to perform simple attacks which aren't much better than fighters attacks they also need to pay RP tokens to get better spells while fighters don't.
Back to top Go down
dalerawks

dalerawks

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 1:23 pm

To put it simple...... Fighters/martialclasses in FFX can take stand-alone fights... no issue..... mages need buddies to be successful..... Mages are a support class.... so why would a mage run around going. "I will duel a musscle ass, when I know a sword swing is gonna crap my style."? Mages want friends.... mages NEED help, and fighters need mage help, (Black,Blue,Red, White..... IDC) It doesnt matter you need each other to succeed at most things so as a mage... if you get into a fight, grab a friend.... hances are a stand alone duel with a mage wont turn out too well agaist a fighter.. said and done on my end.
Back to top Go down
Akai'zhar

Akai'zhar

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 6:24 pm

Yup but black mages in FF were also the most destructive class to certain point and allmost crucial to defeating some foes that were highly resistant to physical damage. While white mages were needed to heal and buff the party, however since FF10 doesen't really have classes it's bit unsure, everyone who played the game as far as getting past the characters designed grid to get more of course went towards getting more magic or strenght, like lulu would be more effective with white magic.

I think we are just focusing on the pvp too much, there is little need to it though since the server doesen't allow players to be evil the little conflict we have doesen't really need the system either it's just wasteful :S And i haven't seen the system being used on any events yet either.
Back to top Go down
Nirvana620

Nirvana620

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 3:16 pm

Can you still dodge spells with DEX though?
Back to top Go down
Akai'zhar

Akai'zhar

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 8:07 pm

Doesen't make much sense silent Since in Final fantasy 10 they allways hit, you can't evade spells you can only resist them. And the spells are like...hitting at target, they aren't some spell that has one direction going bolt of fire or such, the fire/ice and so on just forms around the target before hitting.
Back to top Go down
Strider2006

Strider2006

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 2:20 pm

I think it should, it would make fighting more interesting.
cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Prvt. Bob

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 9:22 am

I can see that if a spell caster in general casts an offensive spell at anybody, that person, if wanting to defend/resist the spell in question should use a mental stat. As I have seen from other posts, it isn't fair to let the warriors resist magic with Strength. There is no need for it, unless there is a secondary effect that would push the individual, then maybe he can resist the pushing effect.

On a personal note to the conversation, I can see all spells with the exception of mentally effecting spells, like charms and such, would use Intelligence as their defense for a reduced damage or even half damage. With the rest of the charms and illusions, I can see the use of Wisdom to determine whether or not the person is effected. Granted, spell casters in general will be better suited to resist spells and not so for the more physical attacks of martial classes or the more physical monsters. But in the same retrospect, martial classes with weaker mental scores would not be that great at defending themselves from magical attacks in general.

Back on one post from "Fighter" I believe, if a black mage was to bust you with a fire attack, you do have means of a counter attack, run up and bust him in the chops with said weapon in hand. If he is in a position that melee attacks are not going to work, i.e.: on higher elevation, use ranged weapons, but if that is out of the question, then you are screwed until something changes the given scenario.

Ok, enough ranting. My 2 cents are put forth. Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?   Should it be Int/Wis/Cha? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should it be Int/Wis/Cha?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: :: OOC Lounge :: :: Suggestions & Complaints-
Jump to: